A new way to get your medicines and appliances
The Electronic Prescription Service (EPS) is an NHS service. It gives you the chance to change how your GP sends your prescription to the place you choose to get your medicines or appliances from
The Electronic Prescription Service (EPS) is an NHS service which changes how your GP sends your prescription to the pharmacy you choose to obtain your medicines or appliances from. What does this mean for you?
- If you have requested your repeat prescription from your GP surgery you will no longer have to visit the practice to collect your paper prescription. The prescription will be sent electronically to your chosen pharmacy, saving you time.
- You will have more choice than ever before – you’ll be able to nominate a pharmacy anywhere in England; near where you live, work or shop.
- You may not have to wait as long for your prescription to be assembled as the prescription will have been sent to the pharmacy ahead of your arrival saving you time.
Is this service right for you?
Yes – if you have a stable condition and you
- Don’t want to go to your GP practice every time to collect your repeat prescription
- Obtain your medication from the same pharmacy most of the time or use a specialist delivery service.
It may not be if you:
- Don’t get prescriptions often
- Pick up your medication from different pharmacies each time.
How do you use EPS?
You must choose a place for your GP practice to send your prescriptions to. This is known as ‘nomination’.
Ask any pharmacy or appliance contractor which offers EPS or your GP surgery to add/change your nomination on your behalf.
Once nominated, your pharmacy will receive any prescriptions your GP issues for you. You can then get in contact with them to arrange delivery.
Can I change/cancel my nomination and get a paper prescription?
Yes you can. If you no longer want your prescription to go to your previously nominated pharmacy then simply inform your GP surgery or any pharmacy/appliance contractor who offers EPS. You must tell them before your next prescription is due or your prescription may be sent to the wrong place.
Is EPS reliable, secure and confidential?
Yes. Your electronic prescription will be the seen by the same professionals in GP surgeries, pharmacies and NHS prescription and fraud agencies that see your paper prescription now.